Get The Facts

As the late U.S. Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, “You’re entitled to your own opinion, but you’re not entitled to your own facts.” That’s why knowing the facts about gun violence is critically important as we educate ourselves and others about its impact, advocate for common ground gun laws and participate in programs that help make our communities safer for everyone.

The Impact of Guns in the U.S.

  • In 2020, gun violence claimed 44,000 American lives; 2/3 (or 29,000) were suicides and accidental deaths while 1/3 (or 14,500) were homicides.
    Source: Gun Violence Archive
  • In 2020, an estimated 84,775 Americans suffered a non-fatal gun injury, some 200 each day.  
    Source: Everytown for Gun Safety
  • In 2020, firearms sales in the U.S. increased 65% with nearly 23 million sold. 
     Source: CNN March 14, 2021
  • In 2020, gun violence is estimated to have cost the U.S. economy $280 billion. 
    Source: Everytown for Gun Safety

The Impact of Guns on American Families 

  • 4.6 million children live in homes with at least one loaded, unlocked gun.
    Source: Everytown for Gun Safety
  • Access to a gun in the home increases the risk of death by suicide by 300%.
    Source: Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
  • A recent national poll found 58% of respondents said they or someone they care for had experienced gun violence in their lifetime.  
    Source: Everytown for Gun Safety 
  • At least once a week, a toddler fires a gun, killing or injuring someone. 
    Source: Journal of the American Medical Association

The Impact of Guns on Public Health & Safety in the U.S.

  • Suicide attempts using a gun are fatal 80% of the time. 
    Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
  • Every 16 hours, a woman is shot dead by her current or former partner. 
    Source: Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
  • Most school shootings occur with a gun belonging to someone in the family, usually a parent.
    Source: Giffords Law Center 
  • Only about 3% of violent crimes are committed by people with serious mental health illness.
    Source: The American Psychological Association

The Impact of Gun Laws in the U.S.

  • 90% of Americans support requiring background checks for all gun purchases but only 23% of those polled expect the U.S. Congress to respond accordingly.
    Source: Suffolk University and USA TODAY
  • In states with mandatory background checks for all gun purchases, suicides and gun-related deaths declined by 49%.
    Source: Giffords Law Center 
  • The current background check system applies only to about 60% of gun sales, leaving 40% of gun sales (online and gun shows) with no background checks. 
    Source: Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 
  • In the most recent yearly evaluation of the strength of gun laws in the 50 states, Kansas ranked 43rd and Missouri 46th.  California ranked 1st with the strongest gun laws.
    Source: Giffords Law Center 

The Impact of Guns in the U.S Compared to Other Countries

    • Americans own 393 million firearms or 40% of the entire world’s civilian firearms.
      Source: Small Arms Survey based in Geneva, Switzerland 
    • Americans kill each other with guns at 25 times the rate of other high-income nations.
      Source: The Guardian 
    • American children are 12 times more likely to be killed by a gun than children in other countries.

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

  • In Japan, being killed by a gun is as likely as being killed by lightning in the U.S., roughly one in a million. 
    Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)